Ephesians gives a fantastic picture of the Cosmic sigificance of the life of the Church, and God’s eternal purposes for it. After carefully reading Ephesians, you’ll never look at the Church the same way again.
- It is God’s eternal purpose that his multifaceted wisdom would be put on Cosmic display through the Church (3:10-11)
- God Redeemed the church through Jesus blood, His sacrificial death on our behalf (1:7-8) and freed us from the influence of those who once ruled us (2:1-2)
- In doing this God created a new humanity (2:10) and united people across all human divisions (2:14-17)
- In order that the Church (the new humanity) might “keep” and “reach” mature unity, God gave the Church gifts of Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Teacher/pastors (4:11-13)
- As these Gifts train the Church in knowledge of Christ, the Church is equipped to build itself, reaching maturity and unity in the faith (4:11-13)
- The aim of all this is that the Church might witness to the Cosmic rulers and authorities what it looks like to live under Christ’s rule… To give a preview of what it will look like when all things are ordered under Christs feet (1:9-10 & 1:20-23)